View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #101
NoBozo

I'm just looking at Google Earth today of Ellacoya State Park as I got interested in this thread. I AM a Sailor.

In Newport, RI we have Sail Newport situated at Fort Adams which is a State Park. There is plenty of room at this location. Almost all the boats are "Dry Sailed".... ie: The boats are stored On Land.. On Trailers .... and launched when required. Other larger boats are on moorings. There is ROOM.

I see NO SUCH ROOM at Ellacoya. You need room for Car Parking AND Boat Parking.

I also see some very shallow water for quite a distance off shore at that site. I think someone mentioned this much earlier. If the prevailing wind is on shore..and the sailors are NOVICE...STUDENTS..getting a daggerboard boat ..such as a Laser, into deep enough water to sail OUT of the shallow water UPWIND is..at best frustrating...and at worst Futile...for a veteran OR a beginner.

I have no dog in this fight but this idea seems ...A REAL STRETCH. There is NO Space..... unless you TAKE OVER and Eliminate the RV Park. Just sayin...

I am a Sailor..(Offshore and Long Distance..30+ years) and I promote youth learning to sail. I think Ellacoya is not the place. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post: