View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #56
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Woodsy, my love, no one is saying my boat weighs 9k.

I am springing for 9k because the boat is certainly heavier than Sea Ray's advertised dry weight with full provisions considered. Engines are missing from the math and those options came in the form of a single 454, single 350 or twin 350's. I'll leave you to surmise which engine was equipped for Sea Ray's dry weight calculation.

The capacity of the hot water and gray water holding tanks, respectively, were not calculated in your post.

I also carry full toolbox in the midship storage plus oils, fluids, cleaners, spare parts, etc, a couple anchors, some lengths of chain, plus the items for "surviving" on the water with my wife and kiddo.

There will be a slight increase to weight once the 7.4 MPI and B3 are installed.

If someone like DaveR is packing 1700lbs over dry weight of his Regal in full cruise mode that would still put me at 7125lbs even if 6500 is the calculated weight. I would certainly not spring for 7500 lbs even if these numbers were true because it would be far too close to the max capacity of the springs.

Having 2k lbs in suspension headroom with a 7000 pound vehicle will be just fine. Heck, my tractor is just about 4k and that thing runs around on a trailer rated for 7500 lbs and all is well!

I ask for you to trust that the person who is typing this has done the homework, has sought several opinions and inputs from a few sources and is moving forward with 9k springs. If it ends up being oversprung then, take confidence I'll be posting about it in this thread and I'll gladly eat crow.
If you think k the boat feels like it weighs more than it sounds like it should, it may be waterlogged.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote