View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #32
VtSteve

Default Sorry for the blog

For those that have boated for many years, decades perhaps, none of these stories are new to you. Perhaps the older folks on the board grew up enjoying the lake in the 60's, 70's, early (early) 80's. We had family and friends on the lake, and we had an older generation that showed us common sense and courtesy by example. There were still boneheads, huge cruiser wakes, some folks shaking their fists as 4' rollers crashed into their docks. Winni was a very busy place way back then, and it grew more congested during the ensuing years.

We did crafty things back then. Knowing full well what happens on summer weekends, we tried mooring whips, cross cradle lines, even Shore Stations when they appeared, all to alleviate the issues of constant weekend wakes. We learned not to work on the boat at the dock on Saturday afternoons. We learned that Deep Vees were much better at cruising through the big weekend wakes. But rarely did it stop us from boating or enjoying the heck out of the lake. And hardly ever did we seek personal relationships with the NH Legislators, or form organizations to form lobbying groups.

People bombed around in their boats, big cruisers cruised, people paddled, rowed, or just went put put around their favorite areas. Even when younger, I probably wished there wasn't a single huge cruiser on the lake. But we learned to accept them, just as we accepted every boat, noisy, quiet, paddle powered or wind driven.

When older, more perspective was gained. But people that have been on the waters all their lives have totally different perspectives (mostly) than those that just started out as adults. While I accept all but the most arrogant and even dangerous boaters, I also realize many of those people I shake my head at probably have no clue (as someone else mentioned here). You'd think after awhile they'd catch on, given that they're bound to have been in your situation at one time or another. Surprisingly, many don't.

For instance. I've had the pleasure () of being anchored in my favorite spot while one happy group has been enjoying tubing. Now this is a spot where people come down from Canada, the bay, everywhere to enjoy shelter from the wind, and beautiful sandy beaches and shallow water. Often filled with many boats, ranging from small bowriders to 55' cruisers.

These happy folks typically start tubing from near the beach area, and pull the tube in between several boats. Not content to go headway speed, they always are going above 15 mph to make sure they have a decent wake. Mind you, at any given point in time, they have probably passed at least three dozen anchored boats This happened on four separate weekends before I finally realized this was not a very rational person. Bear in mind, we had been hit by plow wakes inside thirty feet, so our boat had rocked back and forth rather swiftly.

I had a little discussion with the captain of said boat once. We discussed boat wakes, danger of getting the prop tangled in anchor lines, all of these crazy laws we've had in place for a million years. I got a lesson in fun, kids tubing, minding my own business, and anchoring somewhere else. I'm not sure what the other gazillion boats thought of these guys. But one day, opportunity struck Hardly anyone was there on fine Saturday afternoon. But there they were, anchored with two lines about 50' from the beach. Perfect time I said to myself.

Trimmed down, port side to his bow, perhaps 50' away, I went looking for just that perfect spot to anchor

Yes, I did, and I did it more than once I'm sorry, but it was great fun, and the look on his surprised face was absolutely priceless.

Guess what?

Same bonehead one Sunday afternoon this year, same thing. So now there's a really nice local cop looking for just the right moment to generate some revenue so he can fill his tank up more often.