View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
OCDACTIVE

This is terrible... Very sorry to hear of the damage, but in one respect I wanted to thank you for posting. The more times we hear of incidents like this the more people will be made aware of their actions.

I also had this happen to me one year in Braun Bay. It doesn't sound as if my situation was as damaging but still a cruiser came into the bay and didn't slow until 150 feet away from the rafters. While he may have been observing the safe passage law, he didn't take into consideration the monsterous wake that followed up behind him tossing all the boats around. The boat rafted off my party boat lifted up and the fender hit the side of the party boat with such force it dented in the side of the aluminum siding.

An area where I think they should reconsider extending the NWZ is when you come through Long Island Bridge. If you come in from the Broads by Trexlers on a summer weekend there are always a ton of boats rafted to the right of the bridge as you pass under. As a child I remember that there was a NWZ out to the red marker about 500 ft pass the bridge. Now people take off 150 ft out of the bridge causing some rather large wakes for the people rafting. I always try to make sure I wait until the red marker if not further depending on how crowded it is, to make sure I don't throw a wake into the rafters. Just common courtesey in my opinion.