View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I disagree.. one thing I have found in meeting people from Winni.com is that there is a wide range of people who visit this site. You can see that simply from the diverse range of opinions and amount of views the speed limit sub-forum has accumulated. There is no way to tell who is voting - boaters, kayakers, swimmers, or visitors.

I am simply saying that I like this poll because it is not written to sway anyone's vote and it is a sample of people who most likely frequent the lake more so then a random calling of NH residents.

I personally feel that those who are at the lake, know the waters, boat on the lake (to whatever capacity) should have more say then someone that has never visited.

It is very difficult to explain to someone how big the lake is until you have been there. If a quiestion is posed to someone who has never seen the lake if speed limits should be enacted they normally will have nothing to compare it to other then driving a car. As we all know there is quite a difference there.
Maybe I'm missing something but these numbers don't seem to mesh with what I'm seeing in this neighborhood. Our road association, consisting of many modest homes, many of which need to be rented out just to pay the taxes, voted unamimously to send a portion of our road dues to Winnfabs. My elderly parents (not computer literate) would also not be represented here. I suppose one could take a poll of Americans asking what they felt America's role in world affairs should be and the results would vary astonishingly depending on whether you polled at a Baptist church in Georgia vs. a mosque in New York City. Polls taken by asking people to respond are notoriously inaccurate compared to when the pollster goes directly to those being polled. For example, if you went to everyone who has posted on any forum on Winnipesaukee.com (general category, pets, real estate, restaurants, weather etc.)over the last 6 months and posted your question to them, then the poll would have some statistical validity.