View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover View Post
1. What do they do the other 51 weeks of the year?
Most of them lead normal lives.

Quote:
2. Why do they like to ride so close to the center line?
When I ride, I always keep my entire body and my entire bike on the right side of the center line unless I'm passing other vehicles or obstructions that block my lane. When I am approaching a right hand corner, I move as far as I can to the left so that I can see as far ahead and around the corner as possible. I move to the far right for left hand corners, for the same reason.

Quote:
3. Why does the motorcycle have to be so loud?
There's two reasons:
A. The owner just wants it to be loud.
B. The engine moves so much air per exhaust stroke that a quiet muffler would either have to be huge or excessively restrictive of horsepower.

Mufflers are sized based on the peak volume of exhaust gases that flow through them, and the amount they reduce noise. Narrow degree V-twin engines have huge instantaneous exhaust gas flow rates for a short duration, and then a very long duration of no flow. That huge gas flow rate requires a large or restrictive muffler to quiet effectively. A 1500 cc V-twin engine has instantaneous peak exhaust flow rates equivalent or higher than a 6 liter V8. Look at the muffler on a quiet truck with a 6 liter V8. That's the size muffler a 1500 cc V-twin would need to be powerful and quiet. Obviously, it would be hard to package on a bike, so the factory has little choice but to make the mufflers restrictive to keep the noise down to legal levels. If you replace the stock muffler with a louder and less restrictive part, and tune the engine to work with the new muffler, you can easiliy gain 30-40% more horsepower. That's a pretty good incentive.

4 cylinder engines produce substantially smaller peak exhaust flow levels becuase they have much smaller cylinders. They can be quiet and powerful with resonably sized mufflers Repalcing the stock muffler on the those with a less restrictive and louder part will typically yeild less than 10% more power than stock.

My bike is stock and quiet.

Quote:
4. What role do excessive drinking and drugs play in the group?
Same as any group, I imagine. Not my scene...

Quote:
5. Why are there so few women involved?
The good looking ones are with the guys riding sport bikes.

Quote:
6. What role does the custom or extra chrome motorcycle play?
I imagine it's a way to distinguish one's self from the crowd. My bike is all stock except for some stainless steel fasteners and an added fender.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: