View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Agreed

Back in the 80s, boating with Dad, there was not a lot of "light pollution" and it was easy to see the stars, and flashing markers didn't get hidden too much by shoreline lighting. My wife actually enjoyed boating at night on Dad's 17 ft Thompson.

Fast forward to 2011 when we bought our 19 ft Sunbird. I had to reacquaint myself with the SE end of the lake, Gilford - Wolfeboro - Alton Bay. Considerably more shoreline lighting, not only more but also directed more out onto the lake as opposed to lighting the shoreline and docks. My wife loved to assist in locating the flashers. It made her feel a little more secure about traveling out on the lake at night.

Case in point: traveling from Wolfeboro to Alton Bay, we would look for the two flashers at the mouth of Wolfeboro Bay, the one at Sewell Point and the other off Little Barndoor. Passing them, take up a heading of around 220° and look for the double flasher off Moose Is. Pass that and look for the flasher at Little Mark. Finally look for the double flasher at Echo Pt. and we were home free. In the 80s, very easy. In these times, very difficult due to all the back lighting on the shore lines.

Wife asked me more than once "You do know where we're at, right? " I would make an "X" on the dash and confidently exclaim right here, as I finally spotted the flasher in the myriad of lights.

ITD, you're so right.

Dave