View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
Pam

The posts here raise really legitimate points, but my husband and I bought a small summer cottage over twenty years ago, and it's been one of the best things we ever did. In the beginning, we had just a seasonal camp that we rented for all but a couple of primetime summer weeks, and which we used ourselves on weekends in the spring and fall. With our work schedules, this was fine, and we never had any problems renting or with tenants, either renting independently or through an agency. Yes, it's work, but you get to be in a beautiful place while you're doing the preparation, etc., plus it keeps your place in good shape. Our cottage got cleaner and cleaner through the rental season.

Ten years ago, we tore down the cottage and built a year round house to accommodate our larger family, but we still rented most prime-time weeks. Just last year, we switched the balance so that now we use the place more than we rent. Our summer cottage has worked hard for us and it's been adaptable as our lives have changed, our children have grown, etc. Now we have a wonderful year round getaway that our children and grandchildren also enjoy. I wouldn't change any of it.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote