View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
GusMan

Default Viessman vs. others....

I recently had to make the same decision... viessmann vs. more common brands when I replaced my FHW Boiler system here in my home in Massachusetts.

I was definitely impressed with the Viessmann system.. the efficiency ratings were great and their track record for reliability looked solid.

I was, however, very concerned about two potential issues: The initial cost of the system and the complexity of the sensors and controls that made the system so efficient.

My home is a modest 2400 sqft split entry with 4 zone FWH gas boiler in NE Masachusetts.... The Viessmann system was more than two times the cost of the conventional (Burnham) system, but with the increased efficiency, that may not have been too big an issue. The thing that concerned me most was servicing the unit.

My thoughts were that *IF* the installer was not available for emergency service on the Viessmann, it might be very difficult to find a general plumbing contractor that was familiar with that unit, while *any* HVAC guy could service the Burnham. Also, my smallish house would not benefit as greatly from the efficiency of the viessmann unit as perhaps a larger home might.

I have been *extremely* happy with the burnham unit for the last 4 years or so.

Cheers... and Good luck.... big investment either way.

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote