View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #39
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Post Office

ApS- I'd be interested to know where you got your information- the picture on Tuft. Times- Fall 2016? If you were there, as in primary source, then you're right!

The picture, 1952 construction of the Pope Dam, has two buildings in it- one quite small building to the left of construction, and another, which, I believe, faces High Street, which isn't really near the dam.

Now, I have a map, from 1860, showing "RStockridge P.Office" (on today's Route 109) right where the Horner property/store/post office of the 50s was.

Is your Dad's childhood house still there? Could you be more specific as to the location of the house?

Also, the Boody Grist Mill appears to have been erected right on top of the old dam- does this make sense?- I always thought grist mills had side-wheels that used the running water to turn the mechanics.

tg38- The Whites (the more exclusive rentals) were located to the right (with your back to the beach) of the Browns. Anyone reading this remember JEGGS?

Any way- I'm enjoying this walk down memory lane, as most of the memory threads here refer to the other side of the lake.

Remember diving off the Wawbeek 25ft. diving board- risky when you were only ten yo.

Club Melvin!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote