Thread: The Dive?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #611
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Yes they did miss quite a few very important aspects. 1) underpowering the vessel 2) getting patrons (boats captains) to and from their boats when the weather isn't idle to wade or swim or when the captain doesn't want to get wet before boarding 3) from a strict financial point of view, investing 600k in a bar/restaurant with an extremely short season.

I truly hope they succeed but as a CPA and one that invests commercially in businesses and real estate tis is a business I would never invest in myself nor would I advise a client to invest.
Right. I would not expect my CPA to advise in favor of anything risky. I also would not expect him/her to be richer than I am since I might take greater risks. I would need him/her to guide me through bankruptcy. Risk vs. reward, right?
I expect the Dive will be reworking their business plan for 2019 to include events and ticketed cruises (new power?) and perhaps negotiating a better homeport.
Homeporting at a marina or resort with lots of parking and no restaurant/bar
would work.
Remember that 600K could have been spent on a restaurant development and you would pay big property taxes. The Dive, by comparison, pays registration fees, but no property taxes. Remove the engines and use a tow boat, and I think no registration fees, just for the tow boat.
Maybe she'll find an island home and be Mama Lucy's II? Stranger things have happened on Winnipesaukee.