View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #32
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Exactly this. Here's an interesting article (I know it's probably fake news to some of you): https://www.popsci.com/america-before-epa-photos.

My truth--one backed up by pesky facts--is that (post 1960's) Republican ideology rarely, if ever, helps the masses. The policies enacted over the last couple years reward the rich. The tax cuts did very, very little for the average person, while returning millions/billions to the ultra rich, especially since those cuts are going away in the next few years while the deficit is growing at a rate Republicans promised they'd never allow. In addition, facts show most of the money corporations received from the tax cuts (60-70%) has gone not into their workforces but into shareholder profits. At the same time, public lands are at risk both in terms of pollution by current corporate use and reduced protection as well as the threat to "sell them off" (once again, to corporations).

Effective buying power for the masses has gone down because raises haven't outpaced inflation (a few years ago we started to see the first raises for middle class Americans in a decade, but those are gone now) and added to education costs (both trade and college) the ability for the masses to get ahead is being weakened.

Add to all this the recent Supreme Court hits to unions--the organizations that achieved safety regulations, fair wages, 40-hour work week, vacation time, etc.--and we've got a bleak future for the masses.

Since we allowed so much money into politics, the rules are now made/bought by those with that money. Every policy enacted in the last couple years has been transparently better for the rich than the masses. (The Democrats aren't perfect, BTW--Obama should've slaughtered all those bankers who knowingly destroyed the system as well as prevented those asinine severance packages after corporations and banks received OUR money...)

NOW, the reason I wrote this on this thread is because the anger over the owner of this home is a reflection of an America that is growing tired of what it sees as rich privilege--that rich people can "buy" anything they want, including influence.

I'm not sure that happened here--as mentioned above, there's not enough evidence to know for sure--BUT that seems like an extreme house to be built on such a small island, especially when people with 20' docks are sometimes run through the ringer just to get them fixed.

Just my thoughts--Godspeed, friends!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I’m sorry the “facts” cannot and do not show that the new tax laws did not help the average person nor that 60-70% of Corp cuts have gone to shareholders. The FACT is the changes took affect 1/1/18 and no person or company has filed a tax return yet that includes the changes. These are merely assumptions and many incorrect. This was a complicated change to the code and conclusions can only be drawn after this coming tax season in 2019.

Also you point out the bad but left out the good such as increase in the stock market (which helps many employees 401k), reduced unemployment and increased GDP.

Not to mention that politicians local or otherwise have been influenced by money since the beginning of time, certainly nothing new.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app