View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #57
trackeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Trackeer....

How do you figure it was a "money grab" by the city? The state law indicates at what percentage of valuation a city or town must maintain. The city has no control over the real estate market nor do they have any influence on the contractor Vision Appraisal and the values they come up with. If your property appraised 15%-40% higher... that's because some of your neighbors sold out and cashed out. Vision has to have the comps to back up their appraisals. You can always file for an abatement if you feel its appraised too high.

It doesn't matter if you believe the real estate market to be sustainable or not. It traditionally rises & falls in a cycle. The corresponding appraisals will also rise & fall accordingly (although there is a year or two lag time). The City will raise and lower the tax rate as the cycle dictates. The current tax rate has dropped...

I am happy you are able to own waterfront property... however, I do not have much sympathy for you when it comes to taxes. The big fish gobble the little fish, and this is especially true when it comes to desirable real estate like waterfront property. Your property value has risen thanks to the bigger out of state fish gobbling up the property owned by the smaller out of state fish. Supply & demand drive the marketplace... and waterfront property is in HUGE demand.

Woodsy
I believe the Tax rate is regulated not so sure about the property values, as for BIG fish gobbling little fish, it would seem your of the old school and mentality. Success shouldn't be rewarded with paying more because it happens you can, we've worked very hard for our money, because we worked hard and bought a small house on the water makes us more liable than those who own homes off the water??? Move our house off the water and it's lucky it's worth 150K.
As for an Abatement, lmao, really, I wouldn't let that woman that runs the accessors department into my house. It was bad enough several months after we bought she went over to the house and looked in the windows, that conversation didn't go to well. Otherwise the burden for abatement falls on the owner.
Otherwise Woodsy, you should count your blessings that the there are those who can afford to help support your community, without them Laconia would have bigger problems than they do now.
Otherwise there was a push at one point to make the Weirs a Self Supporting Community back many moons ago, folks felt they were paying big bucks and getting nothing back from the city, doesn't look like much has changed huh, Woodsy.........
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote