View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #78
ApS

Exclamation Your "Perfect Wave"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
This is a good question. I think it would be very difficult to prove most circumstances where a specific wake caused damage to another boat.

I was fishing in a kayak in Alton Bay one morning where a 35' Baja Outlaw came into to dock in his slip. He swung by at the perfect speed and the perfect arc to produce a 4' wave coming straight at me. I am pretty sure he was outside the 150' safe passage distance so he was not violating any law that I know. I have a sit-on-top and was able to spin my kayal for a bow first entry. My gear (3 poles, tackle boxes, fish finder, VHF, Phone, anchor, lights, etc.) are all waterproofed and secured fast so other than a good soaking from the neck down, no harm nor damage. I needed to execute a good brace to keep upright as the kayak pitched when the wave hit. The shape, speed and size of the wave ensured I went through it, not over it. (I actually enjoyed the experience as I now better understand what kind of a wave I can recover from without capsizing.)

I sometimes wonder if it was an elderly couple in a canoe, or if my gear was not lashed down, what recourse would be possible. A witness could easily identify the boat, now sitting a half mile away in their slip, and could identify a huge wake clearly from their boat. It was otherwise calm and quiet. Proving this one would seem much, much easier than most. I am sure most incidents are much more difficult to prove.
A few years ago, I researched this question of "wake liability", and found only one settled case—ever—which happened on the seacoast of Maine. (A fatality).

You're correct in the "shaping" of wakes. Too often, the wave that's going to get me soaked is one I hear behind me!

An oversized boat that accelerates, turns, or slows down can "shape" a huge wake.

Seen from a distance, one's "at-speed" wake should be free of "curling" waves. As these oversized waves come ashore, they reach shallower water, the wake becomes taller, becomes compressed laterally, and increases the (literal) impact on the shoreline.

Oftentimes, they will "break" even worse when combined with other oversized boats' wakes.The erosive effect on the shoreline is easy to see, and turbidity is even worse when combined with strong winds.

Since north-facing shorelines face the worst of winter's winds for many months, shoreline erosion is minimized by the natural formation of ice. The effects on the lake's tree-line by the summer season of boating—especially large boats—can't be minimized.

Photographically, I'm following the "travels" of a mixed clump of mature shoreline trees. That clump of trees has not only slid further into the lake, it can be expected to collapse entirely into the lake someday soon. Only a mossy bread-basket-sized boulder is keeping the clump from falling even sooner.

A few years ago, I noticed the "lead" tree could not have started growing as close to the water as it was. The two largest trees had been growing "properly" meaning—straight up.

Last year, the trees had taken a "list to port". This June, I noticed that the maple's new leaves that had only just sprouted this spring, were under the surface of the water.

The second photo is of a different maple along our shoreline. (The photo appeared here at the forum about ten years ago).

I'd estimated its age at 50 years—and it couldn't have rooted with its roots suspended over the lake. At that time, all that soil had washed into the lake, and except for two roots, the tree has disappeared. (I'd hoped to count its growth rings).

I can be assured a soaking by the wake I don't see—but hear—behind me!

In short..."Beware the breaking wake".

Attached Images