View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 04:39 PM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It does kind of make me sorry though that this world has become so dependent on cell phones and computers. I know people that don't even use computers and without help couldn't survive in today's world. I think an option should always be given for important things.
It's not that they can't survive. They just don't want to. They get spoiled by the convenience, efficiency and security of having them. More time to relax or get more things done.

My wife is handicapped. I constantly worry about her falling. If she is not back when she is supposed to be I can check where she is any time. And I can go straight to where she is. If I stay late for work, and forget to call, she can check on me.

I search for something on my desktop to buy somewhere I've never been and it's 30 minutes before closing. And it's Friday and they don't open until Monday. Get in the car and the GPS is already loaded with it. Oh and it routed me around the accident. Saved my weekend project by getting that part.

My wife used to do all the shopping. Since COVID, I do it. We use FaceTime a ton so that she gets exactly what she wants and I'm not wandering all over to find stuff. And we only have to make one trip Less time I'm in the store the safer I am.

It's great being "connected". You wouldn't understand it, unless you did it.

I could use a similar argument that life was better before telephones and cars too. Just ask the Amish.

When shopping for homes I can check exactly where the sun will be in the sky any time of day and any day of the year. I ruled out many homes based on that. I don't even bother looking inside the house if I can't confirm the exact exposure I suspect it could have. I wish it could simulate trees removed or no leaves on the trees in Winter.

Smoke alarm goes off in my vacation home, I know it immediately. And I can pop up a camera or two to confirm if it's a false alarm or not.

Need to let the service guy in, don't have to give a key away or hide one. I just unlock the door from my phone, or generate a temporary code to get in.

I could give a 100 more examples. Smartphones saves time, money and gives peace of mind.

It's true though that they can be abused, like anything, like kids immersed in games and constantly texting with friends while ignoring the physical people around them.

Ordered iPhone 12 Pro yesterday And trying to convince my wife she needs ones too.