View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 08:48 PM   #17
NH.Solar

When I need to move my mini-excavator or haul some materials in my 14,000 pound capacity dump trailer the Duramax is the perfect vehicle,
but when I just need to haul my butt and some skis or groceries, the EV is the right choice. Best part about the Volt is that normally it is fueled freely and cleanly off my roof and I don't care about mpg. during shorter trips I enjoy using the ample power of acceleration whenever the road is open simply because I can cost free. But if I want to go to Sunday River for a few days I'll be at the Maine border before I run out of charge and the backup gas generator motor starts. Once the Gen motor has taken over I still average better than 40+ mpg. I bought the car coming in off a lease with 23,000 on it and it had a combined average of 76 mpg on it. I have nearly doubled that mileage over the past year, and because I frequently force start the gen motor for quicker heat during the winter I have since dropped the average to nearer to 72 ...but that average will no doubt climb again come Spring because I won't be using the generator motor for quick heat, plus the battery range is a little longer during the warmer months. Don't forget that due to my solar array I don't pay for the electric part of that combined mileage.
Some will quite correctly say, "well , how much did that solar array cost?" and that is a very good point. I don't however look at the cost of my solar array as an expense, but rather as a very productive asset that I have added to the value of my house. If the Co-op rate never changes, the ~$13K net that I put into the solar array will justify its cost through utility bill savings in about 9nine years, and from that point forward the power coming off the roof will be entirely free of cost ...and the asset value of the array will still be a part of my home's value.
Running the Duramax is pure frequent and unrelenting expense, but when it comes to hauling the occasional heavy loads, it is a superb machine. For daily commuting purposes I would much rather incur the lifespan cost of relatively inexpensive Volt to the very costly Duramax. I am not driven by the need to have a shiny late model truck and thus hope to be able to keep that very capable work monster for the rest of my life (it gets oil undercoated every other year). Both vehicles have a very appropriate use and place.

Last edited by NH.Solar; 02-01-2021 at 11:25 AM.
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote