View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #17
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

One of my line cooks has been with me for 20 years.He is an excellent employee and asked me if I'd hire his 16 year old son and he'd train him on Saturdays.This was pre DOL and of course I said yes and he turned out to be a enthusiastic and very competent kid.We love him.
His dad starts work at 6am and his son wouls start at 7am,but to save gas ,they started riding together and the son would hang out until starting time.Several times without my knowledge,we had a little breakfast rush and the son signed in a few minutes early...around 6:45 to help his dad. Bingo...the evil Samiam abused another innocent worker...his early starts cost me around $2,500 of the total $7,500 fine.Kids under 18 can't start work before 7am even on weekends....and yes ITD...I am aware of that law.
In my 30 years in business I've always hired sons and daughters of employees.You should see the stars in their eyes when they get their first check.....That little cocky swagger when they learn their job to the point that older employees treat them with respect. Scores of my kids bought theire first car from savings gained by working.My night manager started with me when he was 13......the son of my day manager.......her daughter works for me too....and I don't see this happening again and it makes me very angry and very sad.
Sorry about rambling.......maybe later I'll share the story of my audit by the DOL