View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Default Reading for comprehension

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrasahs
Seems like Big Boaters have caused an on-going disagreement among themselves:

It's legal to burn and/or sink your boat in Maine? Boy, this "ignorance of the law is no excuse" business is confusing.
Let me step infor just a moment and try to clear up your misunderstanding because I don't see any disagreement. Are you trying to create one or really didn't follow the below ...

On 8/20 @ 9:12 pm
Quote:
There are at least six stealthy techniques to satisfy your need to draw attention to yourself -- using your through-hull exhausts.
The most popular seems to be a dash-mounted control to "turn off the water" (to a water-muffled muffler). The MPs seem to be "baffled" by such a device.
which drew this response on 8/24 @ 10:02 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing
The device you refer to does not turn off the water to the muffler. It directs the exhaust through the lower unit (under water), or straight through the hull or transom, via a diverter plate on each exhaust pipe. Such devices are NOT LEGAL in New Hampshire waters.
Shutting the water flow off would cause extreme overheating of the exhaust system and would melt any rubber connections or hoses. It could even cause an engine compartment fire.
Seems to me NightWing is saying madrasahs is wrong re: turning off water and trying to tell him about "Captains Call" exhaust, a switchable system that either directs exhaust out under the water or straight out the transom, and is not legal in NH. (Blue Thunder later added such exhaust is legal in Maine). I'll add that I've seen new Chris-Crafts w/Captains Call (or similar type) exhaust, unexpected since at 23' it's neither an "offshore" nor a dedicated performance boat. Go figure....

which got this response on 8/25 @ 8:35 pm
Quote:
The steel won't melt. It'll get red, but it won't melt.
If you have rubber connections, and shut it off long enough, it could. Spares are cheap.
which prompted this on 8/25 @ 9:59 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Utterly rediculous. It could cause a fire and /or a sinking.
Mad, Why don't you take a cork out of your wine and put it in your whine
So putting aside the actual topic, seems that nobody in this thread is promoting "shutting off the water". Capt's Call exhaust won't cause fires and sink your boat, is legal in ME but not in NH.

You all may return to the actual debate now