Thread: Timing Belt
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I'll ask my airplane mx. I believe the regs say he must use a "calibrated" torque wrench. I'm not sure if by "calibrated" they mean one that can be adjusted to a set amount f torque or one that can be adjusted to a known torque.
"Calibrated" means successfully tested against a test standard. I worked in a manufacturing facility for a few years and our high-quality torque wrenches required periodic calibration. They were rarely off by much.

I have a pair of high-quality torque wrenches that I use for engine assembly and such. They've never been re-calibrated. I am careful to not drop them and I don't leave any stress on their springs when I store them. I have never broken a fastener with them or had gasket failure after using them. I have had a fastener loosen up after using them to tighten it to a specified torque, but that was on a Mercruiser gimbal ring clamp bolt and those are known to loosen with use.

I hate timing belts. I have had two catastrophic failures with timing belts over the years and none with a chain. I find timing belt changes to be a tedious waste of my time and won't buy a car with one ever again. Timing chains do not need periodic replacement. Gimme a chain thankyouverymuch.

I love the 1.8 liter 4 cylinder in my Toyota Matrix. It has a chain and is also incredibly easy to service. They did a great job with serviceability on that engine. Those of us with big hands appreciate that.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote