View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #602
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
Sorry. Clue: Not all deaths are the result of murders. Not all murderers respect our laws against murder. Our laws against murder do not stop people from committing all crimes. Should we rescind our murder laws too?
Wrong: The difference: Murder was a problem that warranted a law. Murder was NOT something that just made people 'feel unsafe'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchase View Post
You conveniently rounded 1.45 to 1.50 in your favor and I'm the one spinning? But they do support my cause. Even more so. Sorry you still can understand the math. 45MPH allows you approximately 0.8 seconds of extra time to react and avoid the little boy's head. 70MPH is too fast and the kid is dead before you can react. Great attempt on reverse-spin.

Agreed, kids sometimes do stupid things. So rather than just SLOW DOWN, we should run them over to punish them? I have no problem seeing and avoiding even stupid kids, even on the Broads or on any other part of the lake, at the speeds I boat on the lake. I do not depend on the intelligence of kids to avoid killing them. I go fast enough to enjoy the lake, but slow enough to do so safely, no matter what the kayaks and kids are doing.
Wrong: I impartially rounded BOTH numbers regardless of which side it supported and the result was clear. Do you have any idea how quick eight tenths of one second is? I do. And it would not make one bit of difference in any of your 'what if' fear situations. The laws that existed before the temporary speed limit prevented these situations.

Follow up question: When was the last time a child was run over at a high speed on Winni? [/Rhetorical]