Thread: Belknap College
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

This WEBPAGE that was referenced above is fascinating and has many old photos of Center Harbor and the surrounding area. It also features two old articles from the Weirs Times that document the founding, history and demise of this fine institution. The old slander that BBS refers to is partially addressed in one of the articles
Quote:
Many outsiders dismissed the school as being little more than a place where a draft age male could get a student deferment from military service. Common sense tells me that the enrollment of all colleges and universities during the Vietnam War era included some students who had chosen the pursuit of an education over becoming a warrior. There was nothing that made ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Belknap Collegelace> a first choice among people of this group.
Here's my question:

This buidling was one of the main campus facilities and is now slated to become home to the NH Music Festival. It previously was a restaurant. Can anyone remember the name?

There was also a LaSalette Novitiate in Center Harbor in a building that looked similar to the one above. Does anyone remember this? Was the building part of Belknap College?

LaSalette Novitiate building

Is this building still around?

Pineedles?

Last edited by mcdude; 02-24-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: added pic
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote