View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
ApS

Cool Start 'em Safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschisk View Post
We are looking for a very basic boat, with less than 25 hp motor, for my younger than 16 year old boys to use around the island. Would love something we can just leave at the camp over the winter. I would love recommendations, or if anyone has something to sell? Thank you!
When I was 16, I had a flat-bottom boat with a whole 7½ mighty Evinrude horsepower.

While making a gentle curve to a friend's dock, not a ¼-mile from where I presently sit, I hit a cruiser's wake, slid across the bench seat, and hit the tiller with my butt.

The sudden turn had me launched over the side—and, in the process, not getting the slightest bruise. Reluctant to leave my boat, now doing tight circles, and not wanting to shed my new leather jacket, a Winnipesaukee Laker arrived at the scene, and pulled me out.

So, it's a "no" for a flat-bottom boat, and a long-considered "yes" for the 13' Boston Whaler.

With teens, I'd increase power incrementally, and definitely not begin with 25 horsepower. For decades, the 13' Boston Whalers that have been running around Winter Harbor with 18 horsepower were plenty fast. IMO.