View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #38
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default We were shaking our heads yesterday...

Left Parker Marine yesterday PM, had a boat to my left with a bunch of kids in it, adult driving. Jetski came up on my right. All in no wake area. got past the bandstand and jet ski took off. no problem. Other boat took off no problem. He was heading straight out toward Sandy Pt. No problem. Then I went up on power. Jetski left me in the dust. Other boat looked like he was going to split the buoys at Sandy Pt. All of a sudden he turns right, and cuts in front of me to go to the east of the flasher and black buoy. Not really bad...I came off the throttle because I was watching him. Came back on throttle and was following him in his wake by maybe a hundred yards...at least a pitching wedge behind him . See the jetski that had passed me and took off at the beginning now approaching from my left in between the two boats (we are doing about 30), jumps the wake and turns to follow the first boat. He's doing a little swerving and hitting the edge of the wake in front of me. I backed off a ways, as I could just see his passenger fall off in front of me.
Dangerous...maybe a little. Not following the rules of navigation, yielding to the boat on the right...yeah. Unexpected...sort of. When I learned to drive a car, my driver ed guy said to drive defensively, expect the unexpected from the other person, and try to always have a way out of a situation. Applies nicely to boating.
I let the others go...rather have them in front of me where I can see them and plan accordingly. 150 rule misapplied alot...probably. dangerous...occasionally. Can you plan for others moves...almost all the time. So is it a really big deal...nope. Gives my wife and I an opportunity to talk about someone or something. Worst case, I come to a stop, and hold my arms out to my side with my palms up, all fingers together, as if to say "What's up with that move". Beyond that, time on the lake is too precious to get too worked up over this stuff. (But I must admit...I love to hear stories about the crazy boating antics of others, because it really does make me ! Enjoy your boating, everyone.