View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsChinadoll View Post
But I find it amazing that all people born and raised in NH are born knowing how to to pilot and navigate a boat. I do not own a boat, would love to someday, if I could win the lottery but I would be very afraid to take it out on Lake Winni and offend all of you "NH" boat people.
The secret to boating on Winni is to substitute fear with respect. Winni can demand a graduate degree in boating. The weather often kicks up pretty good and as mentioned, there are lots of boats - some big, some crazy. Many good Winni pilots have learned on the small lakes first, where there is minimal traffic. If you get your first boat and Winni is all you have to work with, go out during the week or on early on weekend mornings and get to know the lake. Part of the job is knowing where the markers are (or should be). When you are comfortable with wind, wake, navigation, rules of the road and dealing with those that don't - when you are ready to substitute your fear for respect, then you are ready to boat on Winni.