View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #89
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07 View Post
....but not for the deer.
We ran into a deer recently for the first time and it was heartbreaking.
We saw it in time and braked, but the deer also tried to stop and lost it's footing on the paved road and slid underneath the truck. Had she kept going, she'd have been long gone in front of us, but instead took a smash to the rear quarter. I'd not considered that they would have such trouble on the pavement.
She was gravely injured.
She managed to get out of the road, but once she got into the brush, having only her front legs working, she was stuck.
We had to call for help for her and were grateful to have a compassionate officer arrive, but it's an incident I'll never forget.
I saw almost the exact think happen to the car in front of me on RT-25 just up the hill from the school. Deer ran into a car stopped in traffic, broke it's front legs. It was during hunting season and may have gotten spooked.
I can't tell you how many times over the years I have seen this happen while snowmobiling. It never ends well for the deer as one or more legs are almost always broken.