View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Gunstock Commissioners

Are still held accountable to the county. However, they have private meetings and there are county residents that are trying to get the Gunstock commission to open their meetings to the public.

I grew up on Gunstock. back when it was the Belknap County Recreation area. It was a beautiful mountain like Mad River Glen. The Fletcher Hale trail was voted the top 10 racing trail in the country. The ski jumps were world famous.

Today, I find the mountain more like Breton Woods. No challenge. The current commissioners turned it into a huge bunny slope. I have rarely skied there since Dick Tapply made all the trails wide and smooth out all the bumps. Close down the precipice and made Fletcher Hale off limit.

I guess there are folks that like it the way it is. Most of us who have 'graduated' from the old mountain have moved on. Graduates from the Egon Zimmerman's race program can be seen racing in the masters program and other race league. The new race program can't compete with those from Wachusetts. Gunstock competition with the Boston market. The Bostom Market wants a challenging mountain and Wachusetts have the numbers to prove it. Gunstock may be profitable today, but I think it will not be so in the future.