Thread: Cold basement ?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
Kamper

I use a dehumidifier year 'round. I hardly ever hear it come on in the winter though. It definitely cuts down the musty smell that was there when I moved in.

So far as being cold... Enjoy it in the summer. If you don't have central AC, you might be able to get your furnace system adjusted to cycle that cold air into the upper levels with just a fan setting. If you do, I definitely advise a dehumidifier and premium air filters.

In the winter you will do better with a heat source at floor level. If your vents are all in the ceiling you will need to ducting to get them to floor level or add baseboard heaters or even small space heaters. I sometimes use those heater cubes to warm a trailer I use for a guest house. I estimate it costs $1 a day so these things are quite effective. Those oil filled radiators are the least effective heater I ever had because they have have no circulation and they take forever to warm up even the smallest area.

I also got a boost by opening the filter access panel in my furnace to draw in some of the cellar air the same way the cold air returns bring floor level air from the main level to be reheated. I also added a small filter over the opening but it was probably not necessary.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote