View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 05:16 PM   #64
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhamma View Post

SO! TURNING SOMETHING THAT WAS ONCE NICE INTO.....Something Horrific?
Id have to say the entire village of Meredith. Only because I remember it as a Village on the lake and now its a city on the lake.

Now that I think about it I cant think of anything around the lake thats gotten better since I was on it. Just more crowded more noisy more expensive and more of a toy than a natural spiritual calming place.
Used to be that you could actually feel the spirit of Lake Winnipesaukee when you were out on it. Haven't felt that in years. More like, whats that tent full of balls they have for kids? Oh yeah, A "play tent." Thats it! Thats what Lake Winni feels like these days. One big giant 27 mile long 7 miles wide play tent.
So interesting what you have said about the lake. I am probably going to get 20 lashes with a wet noodle - and I am going to be a newcomer Weirs resident- but I have been to the lake quite a number of times for vacation and I agree with this. I usually compare Winni to Lake Champlain which is my favorite lake.

When people ask me about "Champ" and Winni, I describe the difference as Champ having a more peaceful and serene vibe combined with the history that transpired there. Sailboats and small fishing boats. Not as many bigger, motorized and speed type boats. Quieter overall. Very spiritual. Not crowded as much. There are certainly some mansions on the lake but not as in your face as the ones on Winni. We love renting homes on Champ.

Winni has a lot of the positives too, of course, but I believe the abundance of motor boats, jet skiis, and the like and the tacky/kitchy stuff kind of takes away from it. The crowds, the noise, the in your face mansions.

Still a beautiful lake. There's a reason so many people want to visit and live there. Heck I'm moving there myself. I confess I am not a boat owner.

I really love Squam Lake as it seems to still have the vibe of the past.

Last edited by map; 10-27-2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: addition
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post: