View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #55
ApS

Default 'Found something to ban, folks...

Woodsy: APS/InHarms Way/Chipmunk Whisperer...

ApS: Leaving off my most cogent user-name? (Which is TunnelVision, BTW).

Woodsy: So we have now established you have a penchant for small sports cars (BMW & Karmann) and by your own admission you routinely exceed the posted speed limits and you have run from the law! Yet you decry those who are driving thier boats within the scope of the law?

ApS: "Within the scope of the law" is a very kind phrase to describe those 100-MPH boats which operate outside of a closed course. All my 100MPH-thrills are in tons of traffic heading in the same direction—a closed course. (And we have brakes!)

BTW: "Driving a boat" suggests less responsiblity than "piloting a boat". A 6-year-old can "drive" a boat.

Woodsy: I have but one word for you... HYPOCRITE!

ApS: Even today I get an empathic thrill when reading of Wolfeboro Bay Donzis outrunning the "fish-cops".

But...those were my young-and-stupid days, when running from the cops was a thrill. Call it risk-taking behavior, but I'm no longer "stuck on stupid". (But the adrenalin!)

Besides, it was after work, drinking responsibly, and the road was empty after work at 1AM.

Also, it was I who was equipped for reasonable and prudent speeds, and not the town's overpowered Crown Vics. The Ghia had adjustable shocks, swaybars, camber compensator, was decambered and had grippy Dunlop Green Spot tires purchased from Austrian racer Jochen Rindt after the Bahama Speed Weeks. (The engine—at its factory 36HP—was untouched).

I'd ask Mee'n'Mac to vouch for the Dunlop Green Spots. (And also if he has a "dog in this fight").

Woodsy: You try to paint an image of Hi-Performance boaters as reckless boozing cowboys.

ApS: 'Lots of company at the Old Forum! (Though many appear to have left Golden Pond). A few remaining posters (who favored banning smoldering tobacco products) are against HB162—based on LFOD!

Fountains seem to get a lot of bad "press".

Leave it to Mee'n'Mac to have his suspicions of alcohol and boozing cowboys.

Woodsy: Lt. Dunleavey's old quote may be somewhat accurate, but those 80% of boaters also include family bowriders, sailboats, pontoon boats and other innoucous watercraft. His quote did not differentiate as to what type of boat.

ApS: But the Lieutenant didn't dismiss any.

Woodsy: DWI/BWI is a problem.

ApS: Not for me. Sailing fast requires concentration.

Woodsy: Drinking and driving penalties are harsh, as they should be. DWI/BWI is a problem that a speed limit will do nothing to solve.

ApS: Bode Miller would agree with you. He said he needs to be drunk to get a full thrill on the slopes.

Woodsy: HB-162 has no provisions for adding to the staff of the MP. In fact, given the fight over adding 7 State Troopers to the current SP roster, I doubt there is any money for any additional MP officers.

ApS: NH has relied on its citizens for voluntary compliance. HB162's opponents don't have to spend "other people's money" so generously. There will be those who violate the speed limit, but they can't escape our Constitution. We have a guaranteed right of "free-expression" which apparently is being used at Winnipesaukee docks. (Biggus keeps complaining about people "using just one finger" at OSO).

Woodsy: As far as what possible threat a drunk kayaker poses, well I guess that depends. A drunk kayaker or canoeist is an EXTREME hazard unto themselves. More people die in canoes and kayaks than ANY OTHER WATERCRAFT!

ApS: There are thousands of canoes! Rivers in tiny Vermont kill kayaks every year. How many "white-water" Donzis are there?

Woodsy: There have no daytime hi-speed collsions (above 45 MPH) between any boats here on Lake Winnipesaukee. In fact, I cannot reference to any daytime hi-speed collisions that occured on Lake Winnipesaukee at all.

ApS: No? Try "injuries, collisions with water".

You forgot this poor kayaker.

FWIW: Does a collision with a cottage count—with the only Cigarette on the Lake?

Woodsy: I fail to see how a 90 MPH PWC has anything to do with HB-162 or BWI as it has been discussed here. If you have enough cash Ken Warby will sell you his 200+ MPH boat he is building for the World Record Attempt.

ApS: That WOT Jet-Ski would exceed the speed limit by double. I can't afford Ken Warby's liability insurance.

Finally, and to partially answer Lake Geezer's thought on our "Victimhood Society":

What would our lakes be like if all boating liability insurance were banned?

Just a thought.