View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #75
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You are completely incorrect. I have been involved in commercial real estate for 30 years and it is as strong as ever. Please do not opine about what your are just guessing about and not experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I'm surprised someone in commercial real estate would have that opinion. Yes 'commerical' is more than retail (and I really hope that's where your stance is coming from). I think most in commercial real estate would say that brick and mortar retail is struggling, but there are other sectors that are thriving - non chain restaurants, cafe's, apartment and condo complex's etc. etc.

I'm in tech and work with some of the world largest retailers on a daily basis who are built on a brick and mortar model. Retail brick and mortar is not slowly but QUICKLY dying. There's a reason Staples is about to go completely private (most likely bought by private equity) as they have lost the race to amazon in online retail as they know their store's days are numbered. There's a reason Nordstrom is struggling and moving to an app-based model with an online wardrobe assistant that will take all of your measurements and mail you a box weekly with various outfits for you to try. Keep what you like and mail back what you dont' all on their dime. Only pay for what you keep (yes expensive which is why i dont' do it, but my point is the buying and consumer models are changing quickly). Brick and Mortar Retail I'm sure will alway exist, just get cut by 75+% over the next several years... I could go on with countless examples similar to those.

It's the old "adapt or die" quote or now "innovate or die" approach for companies. If you're not a software company, you wont survive and you've already lost - doesn't mean you sell software, but that you heavily rely on software, analytics (software), artificial intelligence (software) and machine learning (software) etc. to run your business, reach your customers, and make sure you are constantly innovating ahead of your competitors. You don't want to get 'Kodak'd' where you own the entire photo market, and think a digital camera will never take market share from you because you think you are just too big and own too much of the market...

And if you still think I'm crazy, check out the attachment that compares brick and mortar companies revenues of some of the world's largest and most reputable retailers from 2006 to 2016 in the attached.

Link for Staples in case someone was interested:
https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...s-just-in-time
Attached Images