Thread: NH Taxes
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #36
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
The too often piece that is missing in this discussion is the increasing rate of guns and suicide. In 2016, the last year for which the CDC provides numbers, 22,938 people committed suicide by firearm, while 14,415 people died in gun homicides. Historical data shows it’s been this way for a while:

This is not simply a mental health issue, either. Instead, it is an availability issue. Suicide attempts with guns are much more "successful" than by other means. The more relaxed the gun laws are, the higher the rate per capital. And, the successful rates of suicides are highest among white men, not coincidentally the same group that is most likely to have access to a gun.

I'm not suggested banning guns, just pointing out that to have a meaningful discussion about guns and the second amendment, I believe suidice is an essential part of the discussion.

I think mental health and the outrageous amount of people prescribed anti psychotic medication is one of the biggest drivers. You quoted 22,938 people committed suicide by using a fire arm in 2016.

Sadly this is only 50% of the total people who committed suicide by any means in 2016. So if any other attempts that were not successful were added to that list it would show a larger finger pointed at general mental unwellness than a "gun" problem. A gun is just a tool used to achieve a result, unfortunately this result is ending their life, whether they use a gun, knife, pills or any other means what the underlying reason is for that action is what needs to be addressed. Not eliminating the tool. Would completely eliminating any of the top 5 ways people do it help, sure but is that the right way to address the overall problem? I don't know.

The gun debate is definitely one that warrants discussion in our society. But I think we overlook mental health because we are in no position to offer proper mental support in our health care system and it is much easier to blame an object or availability.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote