View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #116
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
From what I understand, bike week back in the 70's and 80's was a LOT less family friendly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
But, I have also been told this was part of the "HayDay" and did far better then than it did now.

Could it be that by making it more family friendly, it is getting slower? Arguably the main stream view of motorcyclist these days ( gangs then vs everyone now) is making biking in general more of a family friendly activity. If a young adult rode a bike "back in the day", he could be labeled a rebel and that lifestyle matched that bike week was like. Today, bikes are for everyone.

Again, if I am wrong about the history, please correct me. But this would appear to be a possible connection to the decline?
Let me begin by Saying my statements have nothing to do with the topic of this post...just some comments on how "bike week" was enjoyed by myself and thousands of other bikers.
Back "in the day" we didn't even call it "bike week" it was simply "Laconia"
Laconia to me was hundreds of bike clubs and independents camping out along Rt 106 and spending the week having fun and generally observing the parade of bikers and other "hell raisers" constantly, moving back and fourth on 106.
The Wiers was a destination for a ride from 106 and you rode back to your roadside encampment for more fun. Police were mostly non-existent out there and mostly "anything went" from nudity to bonfires to grenade simulators to booby flashing. All good fun for anyone who spent the week along 106.
My experiences took place during the 70's and I can't account for what took place after that time because life was changing for me what with raising a family, etc.
After they banned roadside camping Laconia motorcycle week became, over time, the tame event that is is today. Personally, I'm glad I was able to experience the old "Laconia" and the memories of that era will be with me and others forever.
I apologize for this post not offering any constructive comments that are on topic but I felt compelled to shed some light on how it was "back in the day" to those who didn't have the opportunity to experience it as we did.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote