View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #112
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Tilton there has to be a better way. Just look at the other towns around the lake. While the businesses in these towns derive some incremental benefit from bike week they certainly aren't beholden to the event. Laconia and the Weirs specifically is positioned as the least desirable town on the lake. Yet the Weirs has arguably the most open waterfront and potential. In these times of booming real estate values I find it inconceivable that this area can't be better positioned for success. Bike week in my opinion is one of the factors that keeps the area teathered to failure.
From what I understand, bike week back in the 70's and 80's was a LOT less family friendly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
But, I have also been told this was part of the "HayDay" and did far better then than it did now.

Could it be that by making it more family friendly, it is getting slower? Arguably the main stream view of motorcyclist these days ( gangs then vs everyone now) is making biking in general more of a family friendly activity. If a young adult rode a bike "back in the day", he could be labeled a rebel and that lifestyle matched that bike week was like. Today, bikes are for everyone.

Again, if I am wrong about the history, please correct me. But this would appear to be a possible connection to the decline?
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote