Thread: Camp Iroquois
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
winnidiver

Default Ahh Iroquois

I was fourteen in 1962,the first summer we went to Iroquois.We went for two weeks and stayed in an old army tent just like the ones in M.A.R.S.H.We were right on the beach.My dog used to bury his bones under my cot in the sand.The next summer we stay all season.My father would come up on weekends and for 2 weeks in Aug.
The next year Mary enlarged the campground and we had the last site way over next to Shallow Point.My parents bought a trailer we kids still slept in the tent.We stayed there every summer untill I was nineteen, I moved out to Center Harbor for the summer(I wanted to be on my own)My parent and sibs stayed for another two years.I think until 69 or 70.
It was a great place to spend the summer I learned to water ski there,learn how to run a boat.We had a canoe and every evening I went fishing.I learn to sail on a sunfish and a sailfish.I learned to navigate in that 15' canoe with a 3 horse side mount,went all over the lake.I learned to drive there.
Last but no way lest the girls.We were there for the summer.Every weekend brought new families up for a week or two.My friends and I would help the families unpack and setup it was a great way to meet people.Then we would offer to the girls around the camp ground.Oh to be young again.
I wonder if there are any other old campers on this forum from the 60's.
I would love to say I met my wife there on one of those summer nights but that came latter.
Iroquois started my love affair with the Lakes Region.I have been here ever since.
winnidiver is offline   Reply With Quote