View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Thanks, Skip. Probably not the gas cap as the light was on before my last fill up and is still on now. Definitely will try the positive battery lead. If it still comes on, with this being my third Silverado, my guess would be oxygen sensors. I remember when a guy could easily replace those on his own. Now they're buried.

Heck, well I'm at it, I have a Honda ForemanS ATV (manual foot shift) that will go from first gear to fourth and back down to first again but won't go down in to neutral and reverse. Of course the thing doesn't start unless it's in neutral.

Any ideas? Any local ATV repair guys or do I need to bring it to HK Powersports (who will probably be too busy to work on it for weeks)?

Hmmmmm, I guess that's all the broken down stuff in the barn that I can think of for now.
Put it in third gear and push it forward a little to turn the engine over. These kinds of transmissions have shift dogs that can prevent gear engagement if they are lined up exactly the wrong way. By bumping the engine over just a little, you will change the dog alignment and if that was your problem, it should go itno gear. Next time, shut it off only in neutral

Failing that, try lubricating the external pivot point on the shifter mechanism, if there is one. The ytransmission relies on springs to return the shift mechanism back to it's normal state after you move it. If the mechanism needs lube, it can overwhlm the springs and prevent the mechanisms from moving properly.

This may sound weird, but an oil change may fix it too. The engine and transmission share the same oil and the transmissions are very touchy about viscosity and at the same time, they break down viscosity much faster than an engine would alone due to intense shear action in the gears under load.

Otherwise, I'm guessing something's broken or bent internally. That can get spendy.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote