View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by overeasy View Post
I'll be vacationing in Wolfeboro at the end of the month and will be bringing my 16' aluminum boat with me. I have taken the coast guard auxiliary boat safety class in PA, even though it's not required for me (in PA) because I was born before 1982.
If your boat is registered in PA and has Pennsylvania bow numbers you can almost count on getting stopped. I know this/my statement might draw criticism but I've seen it first hand on many occasions where Marine Patrol will target boats that are from out of state. Many times I have seen several boats going by together in the no wake zone at the southern end of Winnisquam, all of them completely abiding the no wake and any other rules and the boat with the out of state bow numbers is always the one to get pulled over for the so called friendly courtesy check. While they tend to be less aggressive towards other close by states within New England. Boats from states outside the region always get pulled over first. For years New Hampshire and (I believe Alaska?) fought reciprocity and I can't help but think that every time I have seen it happen its been New Hampshire's little way of discouraging boat owners from registering a boat in their home states and missing out on registration fees and personal property revenue. In many instances it makes sense to register your boat in New Hampshire, not to much of a debate on that, but to the original question Do they stop people like me and demand safety certificates? Yup. because they are almost counting on you not having one and Pennsylvania bow numbers if you have them will be the invitation to ask you.

However as mentioned if the boat has less than 25 horsepower, no boating certificate is needed, but you will still need to abide by all the other rules and regulations regardless of how much horsepower the boat has.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote