View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #136
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
If I may ask, what was the Kubota you sold? A z-turn or BX tractor?
I use a BX for mowing and it can mow anything and also serve as a multi use tractor with front end loader, backhoe (if you’re inclined) snow blower, plow and mower deck. A zero turn is nice ( I had an Exmark when I mowed commercially) but it is a one trick pony. Just wondering if you had ever owned one of the small tractors as they are real work horses!
I had a B2320DT (Manual), no mower deck. Had box blade, a "Beach Cleaner" and Front End Loader. I sure used it a lot considering it was a small property. I mainly bought it to repair the road that would often wash out and to clean the beach. Saved a lot of time. I also launched my boat with it. A manual was perfect. It gets more power at the PTO. It allowed the beach cleaner to work which normally requires a larger tractor. It was a real "farm tractor". It was MUCH larger than the BX and was a lot cheaper too. A Hydro never would have pulled my 4500Lb boat out of the water either.

I had a BX25 before it. I rarely used the backhoe, and whenever I did I seemed to get into a projects that I should not have I was constantly taking the backhoe off to put on rear implements that I used 95% of the time. I didn't miss the backhoe much when switched.

I have a small riding mower "Home Depot Type" down in MA. Might be all I really need for the lawn.

The previous owner was a builder. He used a commercial graverly walk behind that he left on the property for someone to mow for him. Some of his photos you can spot a bobcat on the property. I think he used it to regrade the steep gravel driveway. I'd like to pave the driveway, eventually but that will be big bucks. I don't want to do it to soon in case I want to do some large projects that might chew it up. But I'm tired of dusty gravel.

Not sure a Kubota is the best thing to spend money on, but if I ever do plan to get one, might as well get it now and put it to work. Lots of folks use them to mow large fields. Not properties like this.

I need to be careful of operating anything on slopes and I don't know the lay of the land yet. I was always worried I'd kill myself on my tractor because there were some steep "cliffs" and one wrong move with the shifter could be deadly (disadvantage of the manual). I've read zero turns can be dangerous on slopes (easy to pop a wheely) especially on non commercial ones that have no weight up front. The walk behind gravely type was probably a good match. I'm not being lazy, riding just saves time and energy for other chores. Best thing I ever did was dump the small walk behind honda I had at home. Mowing went from 3 hours to 1. I'm not drinking beer with the extra 2 hours a week gives me more time at the lake to mow it's lawn.

I want to plant some grass in a lot of un-landscaped rough spots. A tractor would help a ton for that. I always think, what could I use/justify it for and suddenly projects appear and thrilled I had it. Another BX or B might be a good idea. The neighbor I sold it to always said if I ended up with a property that needed it we could undo the deal. But she loves that tractor. She changed her profile pic online to her sitting on the tractor and named it. I could never take it back now. Ooh I just thought of another project. With 0% financing it's really tempting. I bought both at MBTractor in Tilton.

My initial list is:

Paint some bead board (take some rustic edge off).
Refinish porch floor, which is HUGE, done that type work many times.
Paint outside, probably hire someone, way to big, will be a fortune, could be $20k
Needs new roof (not leaking), will be a fortune, probably $20k
Grade and plant grass.
Pave driveway probably another $20k
Sort out all the fire places/stoves/gas inserts (there must be like 8 in all).
Want gas insert in the best spot, need to evaluate chimneys (not masonary). No more wood burning for me.
Need to sort out furniture left behind with ours

Last edited by mswlogo; 08-19-2020 at 10:02 PM.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: