View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #86
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Need to open the chart though

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
Just a thought.....maybe this issue should be addressed in a different direction. I'm not sure how accurately I'm speaking as I don't know the area being discussed, but I'm looking at this with the lake as a whole.
Regardless,...if the MP identify the 'Area' of hazard, which they have with buoys, why doesn't this get forwarded to the shoulders of the chart makers.

As the charts identify the markers, why would it not identify the approximate location of the hazard and identify the hazard itself.(the simple 'X') I realize they can't locate every hazard, but I have seen some informative posts from 'a' chart maker on here so they are active around the talk of the lakes, so to speak. There have been a few threads regarding areas of concern, so the information is all right here, so my suggestion to try to help is:

Why not start a specific thread for identifying these hazards and the area they are located. Not for the sake of on going conversation, but specifically for the popular chart makers to view and research the claims with a simple drive by or how ever they could confirm the claim of a hazard.

I see that as a win win, 1. As the chart maker has the lake and boating community GIVING them their research we RELY on them for. 2. The updated charts will result in chart sales for the maker, over and over. 3. Boaters have a clear understanding of the hazards, thanks to the experience and (hopefully) cooperation of the chart maker.

Could be a start......
PCMC, Bizer asks for input every year I believe (there is a thread ongoing now http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18189)

The day this thread started I looked at the Bizer chart (via my iPhone app (best 40 bucks I have spent on boating period) and have looked at it a dozen times as this thread unfolded. This area is well marked on the chart with two Black Xs denoting rocks, the two spars and the navigable passage.

I have no issue with a few well placed bleach bottles. A friend places one yearly in Smith Cove, Moultonborough that is invaluable.

Bottom line for me, if I don't know which way to go, I stop and look at my chart, then proceed.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote