View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Sailboats have a much deeper draft than most other boats, and therefore have limited proximity to nests, so let's go easy on the criticism. (Sails slapping?)
Far from a criticism APS ... As a matter of fact I do quite a bit to SUPPORT sailing on the lake...so chill!

My point was, it does not matter what kind of boat you have, nesting loons (keyword being "nesting") are drastically affected and severely stressed by ANY approaching watercraft and sailboats are not immune to that fact, nor is any other type of non motorized watercraft! The simple point is stay away from nesting loons!

Mature loons swimming around in the wide open water while your sailing are not an issue, they can dive if and when they are frightened to escape without issue. As a matter of fact I too have them swim right up next to my boat when trolling occasionally. Just last week a pair of them came within 20' of my boat, they didn't seem scared just curious.They eventually dove away peacefully on their own. If scared when nesting there is a good possibility they will abandon their nest.

Dan