Thread: US Coast Guard
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #31
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default What Gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The MP is too busy for routine checks, which was common in the past. I used to get stopped for a safety check at least once a year. This did not happen in the last few years. I think it is time for the USCGA to step up to the plate and provide safety check and power boat courses which I think will go a long way to educating the public common sense and safety.

Let's stop bickering and for once get on the same track and educate those boneheads so that we can have a safe place to boat.
Well I certainly do NOT welcome the CG Auxillary to do unwarranted safety check stops to peaceful boaters on the lake and not sure why on earth you would want that type of intrusion! That is not their job and that is not my understanding of what they will be doing. Voluntary safety vessel checks at docks, sure, absolutely it's a great service, but no way do I condone the Auxillary "patrolling" the waters looking for vessels to board and checked at their discretion...NO WAY!

Also, since when is Winnipesaukee an unsafe place to boat?? During the entire speed limit debate you and many members of SBONH (including myself) relied on the safety history of the lake as the backbone to the argument against speed limits. Now all of a sudden the lake is unsafe without the CG Auxillary??... What gives you can't have it both ways??...

Personally I think the Marine patrol has been doing a great job even with their limited budget and the lake is and has been a safe and fun place for families to enjoy without any further town, state or federal intrusion.

Why fix what isn't broke?

Dan