View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #38
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I think this thread is turning into discussion, as opposed to it's intended purpose...helping people find the cheapest gas on the lake. Anyway, just my opinion.
Does anyone know Lakeport's price?
Also:KJ Bathe,
Don't really see the your analogy, at all. Noone, in any way, shape, or form needs to buy McDonald's products, and noone has to do business with Microsoft. But gas and oil???!!! Don't really see where we have a choice. (spare me the part about driving a bike to work, or driving less). Gas prices continue to climb AND CRIPLE OUR ECONOMY, and yet profits for the oil companies are increasing. Yes, they have a product we have to buy...but what is causing the daily increase in prices?
Just venting, as current economic conditions are destroying my life, and everything I have worked for....
I can agree with you on all points, but one. First gas prices are killing me, as my commute is 100 miles a day.
However, the gas/oil companies are public companies. In our country, companies are free to make as much money as they can. Do we need gas/oil? Of course we do. However they are not the ones setting the prices...the commodoties traders/brokers are.

Take a look at the profit percentages of the oil companies. On average, their profit is 8-14% of gross. That has not changed, even with higher prices. Exxon/Mobil just made a $10 billion profit last quarter, which was 10% of the gross. In other words, it is costing them more to make it. Their profit percentage has stayed the same.

I am not defending the oil companies, just trying to set the record straight. Would I like to see prices go down? Sure would...but until we reduce our demand significantly, it is not going to happen.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote