Thread: Power back on
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #35
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
I agree, Winnisquam, and now that we have established that ours was either not installed properly or is a lemon, we need some help regarding a simple backup plan for checking on electricity and heat while we’re away. Until we had the generator, I relied on the answering machine at home. If there was an answer, we knew we had power. As for the furnace, we crossed our fingers and counted on our property watcher to make sure it was working.
We would like a programmable thermostat, something rather simple if possible, that we could monitor remotely ( and thereby go into cardiac arrest if the temperature shows the house in the 30’s). We bought a Honeywell that we have since returned because it was going to require an additional 3rd wire to be installed, which is impractical because the furnace is in the attached garage, far away from the thermostat. We don’t need something that monitors central air, which we don’t have. Our heating system is propane hot air. If any of you can shed some light on this, we would be grateful. We are technologically challenged, having grown up with carbon copies, whiteout, mimeograph machines, etc., and were flabbergasted when they came out with fax machines! You get the picture.
Thanks for your help.
Sue ��

I also had to add a c wire to my thermostat. I currently use a ecobee. Added a c wire, which is the 24v required, by using a plug in 24v transformer near the thermostat. Just. They have many users, but as you said, I just need it for heat. Very easy and inexpensive to do. You Tube has many videos on how to wire it

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote