View Single Post
Old 03-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #23
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I understand where you're coming from because I, too, see alcohol as a minimized substance--some of the results of my school's drug and alcohol surveys are scary, especially in terms of how normalized alcohol is in my students' lives (#1 beverage associated with kids birthday parties = beer). The depth of social conditioning with alcohol is incredible--it's impossible to attend a party, cookout, sporting match, or almost any other event (including boating) without alcohol being present.

That being said, I do see a distinct difference between alcohol and harder drug use. It is entirely possible, and the overall norm, for a successful life to involve the periodic use of alcohol. It is virtually impossible, however, to use heroin, fentanyl, crack, meth, etc. even for a short time without being utterly destroyed.

I say this as a teacher who has had hundreds of kids go through my life using alcohol without deadly consequences (there are certainly financial, domestic, etc.) but having lost 5 graduates alone this year to opioid ODs, including one just yesterday, who lost his father similarly a few years back.

Though we shouldn't minimize the damage caused by all drugs, some are absolutely more damaging than others.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Although some people escape the "grasp" of alcohol with seemingly (there's that word "perception" again!!) no problems, unlike "hard drugs", whether you realize it or not, you're making my case... Alcohol related financial and domestic problems are symptoms of alcoholism that most people fail to realize. It's called "Denial", and it is the addicts biggest problem, sometimes even worse than the drug itself. Sounds crazy, but very true when you think about it. Alcohol (like Bernie Madoff) comes at you slowly, silently, gently, in most cases. Where Heroin (Charlie Manson), comes in hard and fast. Destroys, or kills you quick, right away, no mercy!! Either way, you are just as ruined, or God forbid, dead. Alcohol however, can come in just as quick and deadly as herion sometimes. Just ask the surviving member's of the op family. ALCOHOL IS VERY CUNNING... Can't stress that enough. A lot of people that have a drinking problem, don't even know it, (because of "perception"and the inability of being HONEST with themselves... Denial.). Think about it. I will give you another example of how cunning alcohol can be. I had a family member who went to work every day of his adult life with a glass of vodka in his hand. It was "normal", no big deal, right?? He owned his own restaurant and bar. The "perception" was that he had no problem with alcohol, however, he drank every day, all day, for his entire adult life that I knew him (30+ years). He NEVER missed work, was very successful and responsible, and seemed completely in control of every aspect of his life. However, he could not function without his glass of vodka. He was dependent on alcohol and didn't even realize it. One day, drunk, he slipped on ice and hit his head hard on the pavement. He was rushed to the hospital and was admitted. While laying in his hospital bed, he asked his wife to bring him in his alcohol, but she refused. So with that, he called his favorite liquor store ( who he was on a first name basis with, obviously) and had them deliver it to him in the hospital. To make a long story short, he ended up dying in the hospital from "complications" from his fall. He was in his early 60's. His wife later found all the bottles of vodka he had delivered to himself when she was collecting all his belongings. He had them hidden around his hospital room. So my question is this: Did he die from alcoholism, or falling and hitting his head?? You know my answer, what is yours...?? I don't mean "you" specifically thinkxingu anywhere in this post, I'm just asking the question(s) in general to whoever wants to ask themselves the question(s). The funeral could have been such a teachable moment for alcohol abuse, but unfortunately, no one saw it (there's that word "perception" again...), and the funeral was a huge "drinkfest" of celebration to his life. Everyone got wasted continuously "toasting" to different aspects of his life!! He was a great guy, and I miss him dearly, but to this day, as far as anyone that knew him is concerned, he died from his fall, and alcohol doesn't even play a role into his death whatsoever... How cunning is that...??? So sad.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 03-23-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote