Thread: Antifreeze
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #25
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Yes and no in my opinion. Yes in the sense that if you run the A/F through the engine via the muffs you don't have to drain the block afterwards. It's all full of A/F when you're done. Easy right?

At the same time, I like to pull my block and riser plugs annually as through the course of using the boat in shallow areas it's not uncommon to have a little bit of grit get sucked into the system and that may settle in the block - draining it will allow that stuff to drain out and every year I get a little that comes out. I've also found a couple times the drain port was plugged with grit, pulling the plug I got nothing out so I had to probe the drain with a pick to get it draining correctly. Over time if that builds up it's possible blockages in the cooling system could occur? I really can't say but seems plausible. Mind you I do not operate in shallow water other than coming in and out of my dock.

Maybe the best answer is every few years pull the plugs the rest of the time do what you're doing. When in doubt ask a service guys at the marina.
Just to be clear, I do pull the plugs before running A/F to drain most water out. Like you, I've I've had to clear some of of them as they were plugged with crap. After draining I put them back in and then run the A/F. In previous years I would pull the plugs again and let the A/F drain and was done. This year I left the plugs in without draining the A/F. I was just a little concerned after reading this thread about the bogus A/F. I used Prime Guard A/F this year as opposed to Wally world stuff in the past. Too bad we don't have more info on the A/F mentioned above.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote