View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #26
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Electricity from nukes is one of the energy solutions that may help us keep warm and mobile as the oil prices rise. If that happens, NH will be a member of the new energy cartel. The most concentrated source of uranium is in granite, ranging from 2-20 parts per million. (Source: Googling for "uranium in granite"). If rocks in the back yard become the replacement for an oil-well gusher, I have a few 20 ton granite pebbles I'd like to sell.
Nukes are they way to go that is for sure. My father worked on the Hanford Nucular Reservation back in the 70s and 80s installing the electric genreation reactors for. Unfortunately because of Three mile Island... and Chernobyl most of the public is entirely to scared of Nuclear Power Plants. I am not sure but I don't think any of the current plants in this country are even at full capacity. The other issue with Nucular Power at this point is the cost of building a new facility, not that all the redundant system and back up aren't necessary, but to build a new facility and get it operational is a major investment. Then through on top of that all the enviornmental cry babies, and their lawyers, and build new Nuclear facilities or even upgraded exsisting ones is a monumental task.

While I agree that Nukes are the way to go. I don't see it as a reality any time soon, for Nukes to supply a majority of our power needs.

Now interesting enough to my surprise I have found that there are some new facilities on their way....according to Wikipedia... the TVA has a reactor Watts Barr 2 planned to come online in 2013... interestingly enough Watts Barr 1 was the last facility in the US to come online in 1996. There are also appearently two reactors being planned for build in Texas to come online in 2014. Note that at the time I am writing this I have not read anything that makes me believe these 3 reactors have full approval... As far as I can tell NRC has been notified, and they are under review. Amazing what you can find in a few minutes on the web.......