View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #217
ApS

Thumbs up 1971's "Popeye" Doyle Was On-Target...

My first observed case of "open carry" was at a little sandwich shop at the end of Squam Lake. I was put-off by the sight. (No badge...no uniform--just wrong).

In 1971, an ideal concealed-carry firearm was the Smith & Wesson model 37, 5-shot revolver. As a Deputy Sheriff, I carried one in a modified leather ankle holster for 27 years. (Retired with three years USN service credited). Back then, I boarded commercial airlines while carrying a loaded 6-shot or 5-shot revolver.

In 1971, Miami-Dade County had no money for armaments so I had to supply my own (required) "38" and ammunition. In my case, my on-duty firearm was a caliber "S&W 38" revolver--not caliber "38-Special" revolver. (Grip-safety for the cognicenti). Forty bucks "got me legal" with my new employer.

When on duty, in plain clothes, concealment of the County-issued Smith & Wesson model 15 revolver was EASY--just pull out the shirt tails and cover the comparatively huge wooden grips.

Sometimes, I'd forget I had the model 37 revolver with me, and more than once, mowed the lawn with it firmly strapped to my ankle.

(I only needed it once--well, make that five times. )

Just for the record, I think "open carry" is stupid--and dangerous.

Legalized "open carry" is a bridge too far, IMHO.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote