View Single Post
Old 08-31-2018, 07:55 AM   #45
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I think the problem is educators make it more difficult than it has to be. They would like to make you think education is a science and it takes more time to teach than it did 50 years ago. They are forever developing new ways to teach math, science, English. What happened to simple reading, writing, and “rithmatic”? As far as I know, none of these have changed since I was in school and I went back after Labor Day and was out by June 23rd. (We also didn’t have monthly “teacher development” days - always adjacent to long weekends)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
As long as by educators you mean the politicians, school committees, and the general public, I agree. Those in the classroom, teachers, are not the ones mandating state testing, number of days/hours at school, required number of PDPs to stay licensed (or need for a license at all for that matter), requirements around IEPs, mandated free breakfast and lunches, adoption of different standards and curriculums, integration of new safety plans, etc. I am not saying all these are bad, but as one who has spent a career in education, both public and independent, it fascinates me how many things are mandated and how much time it takes to complete the wide variety of state and federal reports that are required. When I started 25 years ago, a Principal could manage the tasks pretty easily. As more things have been mandated I have seen an increased need for additional staff; around here, schools with shrinking numbers now have assistant principals to keep up. Principals were not the drivers in these decisions.

Teachers have a tough job backed by a very powerful union which ensures that they are well-compensated (I have many issues around this but that is for another time). However, various agencies and constituencies are responsible for a great many aspects of education that those in the classroom have to implement, whether or not they think it in the best interest of their students. As more mandates come down, the union advocates for more benefits for its members.

Regarding returning to school after Labor Day to allow vacations and teenagers to work, there are a great many people, especially parents of younger children, who can't wait for school to start as child care can be a challenge. Schools, right or wrong (and I am sure there are lots of opinions on both sides) are asked to do more today than decades ago.

On a larger scale, it's not just schools. Remember flying 30 years ago? Minimal gate checks, no elaborate electronic ticketing system, no need for ID's, etc. Lots of regulations and societal changes have brought change to the airline industry including increased bureaucracy and need for addition workers - which comes at a cost. Many other industries follow suit.

To address the original post, I start before Labor Day which works well. Having a place on the lake, I still get there for the long weekend - so for me, it's a win-win. I get the LD weekend and start my summer season before the crowds arise as my year ends in early June. Finally, before anyone jumps down my throat as to being an over paid, underworked teacher, I work in a school but am not a teacher and not a part of the MTA - but recognize the teachers in my school are worth what they are paid!
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post: