View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #62
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
I can see a trend that happening where people are nearing or reaching retirement age and unloading their primary and moving into their lake house. We're in our mid 50s and are the youngest couple on our street. I hope the powers that be can do something about the healthcare situation in the lakes region. More older folks in the area, are going to need more doctors
Good point -- and not only more doctors, more comprehensive service. Case-in-point: My brother and his family recently spent a week in Moultonborough. His daughter (11) developed an inflamed appendix, and the team at Huggins in Wolfeboro couldn't do the operation, so they sent her to Manchester--which is a $5,800+ ambulance ride.

We had the same issue with my father when he lived in Tuftonboro. He came down with pneumonia and a-fib, and the local hospital sent him (via ambulance) to Catholic Medical Center in Manchester.

Huggins is a great hospital, and nearly every one of my family members, from my grandparents to my kids...and me, have had some kind of service there, but the area providers need to be able to offer a broader portfolio of services--particularly with a growing elderly population.

Of course, all this requires money. It's American healthcare.