View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #93
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Destroy the well and go back to lake water?
That doesn’t work well for 4 season use.
And that would severely lower its value to me or future owners.

Property was over $1.2m

Bottom line is that size lot is over constrained wether you have a well on it or not. You either compromise on using lake water or limited official septic capacity. I thought it was just enough that you wouldn’t need any special waivers or grants to make it what we want or future owners might want (staying within grand fathered footprints and capacities). But it’s more impaired than I thought for the money.

My guess is we could do what we wanted and everything would be granted. And it would hold its value and what we put into it. But if we decided to keep it as is use it for 5-10 years and then sell. It might not increase in value as much as a home without these constraints. And it’s not guaranteed we could do what we wanted either. It’s to risky.

We bought in 2003 for $685k and sold for $1.025m in 2020. It could never have a garage and has a similar constrained septic. I thought it was all due to setbacks from the water. Ours was a long strip along the water. But I’m learning it’s about acreage too. I didn’t realize a Well uses up acreage.

I don’t want to make that mistake again. I already know I’m probably buying at a peak (I’m ok with that). But I want to get something that will grow at a decent rate when the market does recover after the bubble bursts.

I don’t regret buying the place in 2003. Not trying to make a killing either. I just don’t want to be behind the curve again.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote