View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I am sure the answer here is ambiguous at best. I am sure somethings have to be brought up to code, while others may not. Let me describe.....

If you look at the electrical system.... I am sure the power coming from the pole into the house, and into the breaker panel will all have to be upgraded to re-connect.... However what is running through out the house is probably left up to the owner's choice.

Likewise connections to public water and sewer, will have the same considerations.

If in this process, the whole house had to be upgraded it would be cheaper and more cost effective, to start over again. When an owner wants to do major work on a property the planning board, has to take into consideration, when are they asking for too much....

Existing structures, that are functioning, can under go repair, even to this extreme, and the internal guts of the house are grandfathered assuming they where done to code when originally build, up updated the last time. If every time you did a major repair to your home, you had to update everything to code, no one would ever want to repair...... However when you touch something, to redo it, what you have touched has to be repaired to code....
On an old building like that I would think they would make him, at the very least, upgrade the electrical throughout the house to code otherwise it would be a fire trap. If they didn't and, god forbid, someone died in a fire, the town would get sued.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote